Sunday, December 12, 2010

Eating eggs in summer.

.
I've been AWOL from this blog for a while. So much so that Joy Vazapully, who posted the following question, has disappeared from the blogland. I hope the eggs didn't get her.

Joy's question was: "There is a belief that one should not eat eggs in summer, do you think there is any reason?"

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that, if they affect you in any way, don't eat them but apart from that no.

I know of no reason to be wary of eggs in summer. Obviously normal handling rules apply and you should be aware of the issue of temperature abuse and bacterial growth but that is a normal food hygiene issue and not specific to summer as such.
...

3 comments:

  1. Maybe that had to do with the habit of some people, who to this day, never place eggs under refrigeration? In fact, just a year ago, as I was discussing eggs with a local British expat, and he offered me a carton of his fresh eggs from his own hens, he remarked, "Mind you, don't put those in the 'fridge, does eggs no good, that."
    Three of the six eggs were green liquid... the cats enjoyed the other three.
    (I'm a cook by trade, I ALWAYS keep eggs under proper refrigeration!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could do, Kitty. But that is not really summer specific; I keep eggs in the fridge all year round. Joy's issue seemed to be more to do with not eating eggs in summer; as if something awful would happen to you if you did.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation cuts in six days after posting.